Uniform Policy found in the Gatewood Schools Student Handbook:
Good habits are established early in life and grow out of an atmosphere of respect for self and for others. These good habits are established and maintained by a consistent application of basic rules of conduct, dress and courtesy that reflect the cooperative effort of home and school.
The uniform dress code applies while students are on campus or participating in school sponsored activities, regardless of location. Dress for athletic practices should be appropriately modest. Exposed midsections are not allowed. The administration and faculty will make all determinations in the appropriateness of apparel and grooming.
- The dress code applies to students in grades Pre-kindergarten through 12.
- Clothing should be labeled with the student’s name to facilitate the return of lost items. You can go online to sites like Imprint and get your childs clothes embroidered to lessen the chance that their clothes will be lost.
- Every Gatewood student will wear the prescribed uniform Monday – Thursday each week.
Gatewood Uniform Standards
Colors of shirts and outerwear are approved shades of green, maze, white, and gray. Seniors have the option of also purchasing black.
Polo Style Shirts
Land’s End or Buckhead Uniform polo-styled shirts (long or short sleeve) with Gatewood logo may be worn. These must be tucked. *Only seniors may wear black shirts.*
Oxford Style Shirts
Land’s End or Buckhead Uniform oxford shirts with Gatewood logo may be worn. Regular cut oxfords must be tucked. “Female cut” oxfords do not have to be tucked.
Land’s End or Buckhead Uniform sweater and sweater vests in green, yellow, or white may be worn. A collared Gatewood shirt with the Gatewood logo must be worn underneath the sweater or vest.
Khaki pants, shorts, capris, jumpers and skirts, being of a length measuring no more than a dollar bill width above the knee, may be purchased at a store of your choice. Standard Gatewood Uniform colors only. *Buckhead Uniform is the only carrier of the approved Gatewood Plaid Design as of this school year.*
- Boys must wear shoes with closed toes (Grades 6-12).
- Girls must wear shoes with a solid back or a strap on the back. (Grades 6-12).
- Lower/Pre-school students must wear shoes that fully cover the toes and heels for safety reasons on the playground.
- Shoes or boots with laces must be fully laced up at all times.
- Preferably, pre-school student shoes should meet the safety requirements as stated above, but should also be easily put on and taken off by the students themselves. Velcro fastened or slip on shoes are appropriate to meet this requirement.
Inside any school building, students may wear jackets or pullovers purchased from Land’s End, Buckhead Uniforms or the Swamp Shop bearing the school logo. Students may wear team outerwear during the school week provided it is approved by the athletic department and/or administration. Outerwear must also be “current year” team wear.
Dress Code for Spirit Days (Fridays)
Fridays are designated as “spirit days,” and students may wear Gatewood spirit wear bearing the name Gatewood or “the Gatewood G”. Sleeveless jerseys must be worn with a t-shirt underneath. Denim jeans, blue in color, (not “Jeggings” or any other tight fitting look-alike) may be worn if they have no holes or tears. Students may wear sweatshirts (no “hoodies”), as outerwear following the same spirit wear requirements on Fridays.
As a privilege, seniors may wear a sweatshirt bearing the name of any university they have received an acceptance letter from as outerwear at a time agreed upon with the administration.
Dress code Violations/Consequences
For High and Middle Schools, if a student is found in violation of the Gatewood dress code, one demerit will be assigned on the first violation. A second violation within the same quarter will result in a loss of Friday spirit wear for that week. Any additional violation within the same week will result in a Level II offense for insubordination. For Lower and Pre-School infractions, teachers will remind parents of requirements the first time. Subsequently, you will be asked to bring clothing or footwear to correct the issue.
Haircut requirements apply to all Gatewood students (K-2 through 12). Hairstyles and/or color must not draw undue attention to an individual or interfere with the educational process. Examples of inappropriate cuts include Mohawk-style cuts or designs cut into the hair. Hair colors must be of a natural looking color, to include highlights. Boys’ hair must not fall over the top of the ear, below the eyebrow, or over the collar. Students must be clean-shaven, and sideburns may not be longer than the bottom of the earlobe.
The following are prohibited at Gatewood Schools:
- Earrings on boys
- Hats, caps, bandanas, or sunglasses
- Facial or body piercing
- Visible tattoos.
- Any clothing or accessory that the administration deems unsuitable.
Dress for P.E. and Athletic Teams
- Students in grades 6-12 must wear modest green or black gym shorts and a Gatewood spirit wear T-shirt. These items are available through the Booster Club. Failure to wear appropriate clothing will result in a reduction of the student’s grade. P.E. clothing must be labeled with the student’s name.
- In an effort to reduce wear and tear on our gym floor, Elementary and Middle School students are required to maintain a pair of PE shoes in their homeroom exclusively for use when physical education is conducted on the gymnasium floor. These shoes will not be worn outside of the gym as grit and dirt greatly deteriorates the finish on the floor. Shoes may be either laced or Velcro-closed tennis shoes. Shoes do not have to be new, but should be clean and rubber bottomed.
- Elementary and Pre-school girls should also refrain from wearing dresses or skirts on PE class days.